I think it is important as the FES Center’s Medical Director to keep focus on the clinical problems at hand and those issues that are relevant to our patients and veterans.
The signature injuries of our war have been traumatic brain injury and PTSD. These areas have a large patient population with needs that potentially can be aided with Electrical Stimulation.
- Riechers RG, Walker MF, Ruff RL. Post-traumatic headaches. Handb Clin Neurol. 2015;128:567–578. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-63521-1.00036-4 Pubmed PMID: 25701908
- Riechers RG, Ruff SE, Ruff RL. Suicidality and injury of the prefrontal cortex in multiple incidents of mild traumatic brain injury. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014 Jan;71(1):94. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.2989 Pubmed PMID: 24382568
- Theeler B, Lucas S, Riechers RG, Ruff RL. Post-traumatic headaches in civilians and military personnel: a comparative, clinical review. Headache. 2013 Jun;53(6):881–900. doi: 10.1111/head.12123 Pubmed PMID: 23721236
- Riechers RG, Shuster JL, Bryan KJ, Burant CJ, Ball SL. Prior housing conditions and sleep loss may affect recovery from brain injury in rats: a pilot study. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2013;50(4):455–462. Pubmed PMID: 23934866
- Ruff RL, Riechers RG. Effective treatment of traumatic brain injury: learning from experience. JAMA. 2012 Nov 21;308(19):2032–2033. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.14008 Pubmed PMID: 23168827
- Marshall SA, Riechers RG. Diagnosis and management of moderate and severe traumatic brain injury sustained in combat. Mil Med. 2012 Aug;177(8 Suppl):76–85. Pubmed PMID: 22953444
- Ruff RL, Riechers RG, Wang X-F, Piero T, Ruff SS. A case-control study examining whether neurological deficits and PTSD in combat veterans are related to episodes of mild TBI. BMJ Open. 2012;2(2):e000312. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000312 Pubmed PMID: 22431700
- Ruff RL, Riechers RG, Wang X-F, Piero T, Ruff SS. For veterans with mild traumatic brain injury, improved posttraumatic stress disorder severity and sleep correlated with symptomatic improvement. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2012;49(9):1305–1320. Pubmed PMID: 23408213