My Lab is studying various aspects of microelectrode performance, and pursuing both materials-based and therapeutic-mediated methods to mitigate the inflammatory-mediated microelectrode failure mechanisms.
My group has made significant contributions to this field, including our work describing the roles of oxidative stress, innate immunity pathways, tissue/device mechanical mismatch, device sterility (endotoxin contamination), and the contribution of local versus infiltrating inflammatory cells in mediating the neuroinflammatory response to intracortical microelectrodes.
Since beginning a tenure track appoint at Case Western Reserve University in 2010, I have generated invention disclosures, patent filings, and over $5.6 M PI, $12.5 M total in new investigator-initiated projects sponsored by the NIH and Department of Veteran Affairs. The impact of this work is evident in the high quality of journals we repeatedly publish in, the citations to that work, invitations to seminars (local to international), invited review articles and book chapters, as well as international media coverage of our work.
For more information on Dr. Capadona’s research, visit his lab website
Entire publication list can be found here.
- Shoffstall AJ, Paiz JE, Miller DM, Rial GM, Willis MT, Menendez DM, Hostler SR, Capadona JR. Potential for thermal damage to the blood-brain barrier during craniotomy: implications for intracortical recording microelectrodes. J Neural Eng. 2018 Jun;15(3):034001. doi: 10.1088/1741-2552/aa9f32 Pubmed PMID: 29205169
- Bedell HW, Hermann JK, Ravikumar M, Lin S, Rein A, Li X, Molinich E, Smith PD, Selkirk SM, Miller RH, Sidik S, Taylor DM, Capadona JR. Targeting CD14 on blood derived cells improves intracortical microelectrode performance. Biomaterials. 2018 May;163:163–173. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.02.014 Pubmed PMID: 29471127
- Hermann JK, Ravikumar M, Shoffstall AJ, Ereifej ES, Kovach KM, Chang J, Soffer A, Wong C, Srivastava V, Smith P, Protasiewicz G, Jiang J, Selkirk SM, Miller RH, Sidik S, Ziats NP, Taylor DM, Capadona JR. Inhibition of the cluster of differentiation 14 innate immunity pathway with. J Neural Eng. 2018 Apr;15(2):025002. doi: 10.1088/1741-2552/aaa03e Pubmed PMID: 29219114
- Shoffstall AJ, Srinivasan S, Willis M, Stiller AM, Ecker M, Voit WE, Pancrazio JJ, Capadona JR. A Mosquito Inspired Strategy to Implant Microprobes into the Brain. Sci Rep. 2018 Jan 9;8(1):122. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-18522-4 Pubmed PMID: 29317748
- Ereifej ES, Rial GM, Hermann JK, Smith CS, Meade SM, Rayyan JM, Chen K, Feng H, Capadona JR. Implantation of Neural Probes in the Brain Elicits Oxidative Stress. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2018;6:9. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2018.00009 Pubmed PMID: 29487848
- Goss-Varley M, Dona KR, McMahon JA, Shoffstall AJ, Ereifej ES, Lindner SC, Capadona JR. Microelectrode implantation in motor cortex causes fine motor deficit: Implications on potential considerations to Brain Computer Interfacing and Human Augmentation. Sci Rep. 2017 Nov 10;7(1):15254. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-15623-y Pubmed PMID: 29127346
- Ereifej ES, Meade SM, Smith CS, Chen K, Kleinman N, Capadona JR. Status Epilepticus due to Intraperitoneal Injection of Vehicle Containing Propylene Glycol in Sprague Dawley Rats. Vet Med Int. 2017;2017:1757059. doi: 10.1155/2017/1757059 Pubmed PMID: 28785508
- Kovach KM, Kumsa DW, Srivastava V, Hudak EM, Untereker DF, Kelley SC, von Recum HA, Capadona JR. High-throughput in vitro assay to evaluate the cytotoxicity of liberated platinum compounds for stimulating neural electrodes. J Neurosci Methods. 2016 Nov 1;273:1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2016.07.018. Epub 2016 Jul 30. PubMed PMID: 27485087.
- Knothe Tate ML, Detamore M, Capadona JR, Woolley A, Knothe U. Engineering and commercialization of human-device interfaces, from bone to brain. Biomaterials. 2016 Jul;95:35-46. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.03.038. Epub 2016 Apr 13. Review. PubMed PMID: 27108404.
- J.K. Nguyen, M. Jorfi, K.L. Buchanan, D.J. Park, E.J Foster, D.J. Tyler, S.J. Rowan, C. Weder, J.R. Capadona. “ Influence of resveratrol release on the tissue response to mechanically adaptive cortical implants.” Acta Biomaterialia; 2016, 29, 81-93.
- K.A. Potter-Baker, W.G. Stewart, W.H. Tomaszewski, W.D. Meador, C.T. Wong, N.P. Ziats, J.R. Capadona. “Implications of Chronic Daily Anti-Oxidant Administration on the Inflammatory Response to Intracortical Microelectrodes.” Journal of Neural Eng. 2015, 12, 046002.
- A.Sridharan, J.K. Nguyen, J.R. Capadona, and J. Muthuswamy. “Compliant Intracortical Implants Reduce Strains and Strain Rates in Brain Tissue In Vivo.” Journal of Neural Eng. 2015, 12, 036002.
- K.A. Potter-Baker*, J.R. Capadona. “Reducing the “Stress”: Anti-oxidative Approaches Just May Prevent Abiotic and Biotic Failure Modes of Intracortical Microelectrodes.” ACS Macro Letters 2015, 4 (3), 275-279.
- K. Kovach, M.A. Labarbera, M.C. Moyer, B.L. Cmolik, E. Van Lunteren, A. Sen Gupta, J.R. Capadona, J. Potkay. “In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of a Biomimetic, Hemocompatible, Microfluidic Artificial Lung.” Lab on a Chip 2015, 15, 1366-1376.
- M. Jorfi#, J.L. Skousen#, C. Weder, J.R. Capadona. “Progress Towards Biocompatible Intracortical Microelectrodes for Neural Interfacing Applications.” Invited Topical Review for Journal of Neural Engineering 2015, 12, 011001. (# = denotes equal first authorship)