My main research interest is in the development and control of brain-computer-interface (BCI) technologies for restoring function to individuals who have experienced severely debilitating injuries to the nervous system, such as spinal cord injury and stroke.
Currently, I am interested in understanding at a systems level the relationships between the firing patterns of multi-neuronal networks and the kinetic (muscle activity and force) and kinematic (limb position and velocity) outputs of these neural systems in the control of upper-limb movements.
My research activities include recording and analysis of single- and multi-unit intra-cortical neuronal spiking signals, as well as local field potential (LFP) cortical signals during both open-loop and closed-loop control experiments in awake and interactive human subjects.
The end goal of my research is to develop BCI systems that allow for more natural interactions with one’s surrounding environment, and more natural control of assistive technologies, such as artificial limbs and functional electrical stimulation (FES) based systems.
For more information, visit BrainGate2.case.edu
- Cortical Control of an FES System for Individuals with High Tetraplegia – Department of Veterans Affairs – Rehabilitation Research and Development Service
Entire publication list can be found here.
- Rastogi A, Vargas-Irwin C; Willet FR, Abreu J, Crowder DC, Murphy BA; Memberg WD; Miller JP; Sweet JA, Walter BL; Rezaii P, Franco B, Kelemen J, Saab J, Stavisky SD, Shenoy KV; Henderson JK; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF, Ajiboye AB (2020). “Neural Representation of Observed, Imagined, and Attempted Grasping Force in Motor Cortex of Individuals with Chronic Tetraplegia.” Scientific Reports. 10:1429. PMC6989675.
- Stavisky SD, Willet FR, Wilson GH, Murphy BA, Rezaii P, Avansino DT, Memberg WD, Miller JP, Kirsch RF, Hochberg LR, Ajiboye AB, Druckman S, Shenoy KV, Henderson JM (2019). “Neural ensemble dynamics in dorsal motor cortex during speech in people with paralysis”. eLife. 8:e46015. PMC6954053.
- Miller JP, Ajiboye AB, Kirsch RF (2019). “The Reconnecting the Hand and Arm with Brain (ReHAB) Commentary on ‘An Integrated Brain-Machine Interface Platform With Thousands of Channels’”. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 21. 10.2196/16339. PMC6914246.
- Cole NM, Ajiboye AB (2019). “Muscle synergies for predicting non-isometric complex hand function for commanding FES neuroprosthetic hand systems”. Journal of Neural Engineering. 16(5): 056018, 1-12. PMID: 31247614. PMCxxxxxxx.
- Willett FR; Young DR, Murphy BA; Memberg WD; Blabe C; Pandarinath C; Stavisky SD, Rezaii P, Saab J; Walter BL; Sweet JA; Miller JP; Henderson JK; Shenoy KV; Simeral JD; Jarosiewicz B; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF; Ajiboye AB (2019). “Principled BCI Decoder Design and Parameter Selection Using a Feedback Control Model”. Scientific Reports. 9: 8881. PMC6586941.
- Young DR, Willett FR; Memberg WD; Murphy BA; Rezaii P; Walter BL; Sweet JA; Miller JP; Shenoy KV; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF, Ajiboye AB (2018). “Closed-loop cortical control of virtual reach and posture using cartesian and joint velocity commands.” Journal of Neural Engineering. 16(2): 026011, 1-14. PMID: 30523839. PMCxxxxxxx.
- Young DR, Willett FR; Memberg WD; Murphy BA; Walter BL; Sweet JA; Miller JP; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF, Ajiboye AB (2018). “Signal processing methods for reducing artifacts in microelectrode brain recordings caused by functional electrical stimulation.” Journal of Neural Engineering. 15(2):026014, 1-16. PMC5818316
- Willett FR; Murphy BA; Young DR, Memberg WD; Blabe C; Pandarinath C; Franco B, Saab J; Walter BL; Sweet JA; Miller JP; Henderson JK; Shenoy KV; Simeral JD; Jarosiewicz B; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF; Ajiboye AB (2018). “A Comparison of Intention Estimation Methods for Decoder Calibration in Intracortical Brain-Computer Interfaces”. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 65(2), 2066-78. PMC6043406
- Willett FR; Murphy BA; Memberg WD; Blabe C; Saab J; Jarosiewicz B; Pandarinath C; Walter BL; Sweet JA; Miller JP; Henderson JK; Shenoy KV; Simeral JD; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF;
- Ajiboye AB (2017). “Signal-independent noise in intracortical brain-computer interfaces causes movement time properties inconsistent with Fitts’ law”. Journal of Neural Engineering. 14(2), 026010. PMC5371026
- Ajiboye AB, Willett FR; Young DR, Memberg WD; Murphy BA; Walter BL; Sweet JA; Hoyen HA, Keith MW, Peckham PH, Simeral JD; Donoghue, JP, Miller JP; Hochberg LR; Kirsch RF (2017). “Restoration of reaching and grasping in a person with tetraplegia through brain-controlled muscle stimulation: a proof-of-concept demonstration”. The Lancet. 389, no. 10081: 1821-30. PMC5516547 *** Featured as the cover article for the May 6, 2017 issue of The Lancet ***