My research is in the field of Neural Engineering, a sub-field of Biomedical Engineering.
My research is in the field of Neural Engineering, a sub-field of Biomedical Engineering. In the past, I focused on designing neural interfaces for peripheral neuroprostheses through computer simulations and acute intraoperative evaluations in humans.
Since 2012, my research has focused on the restoration of sensation in upper extremity amputees through direct nerve stimulation. This research is being conducted under the mentorship of Dr. Dustin Tyler in the Functional Neural Interfaces (FNI) Lab. At the same time, I remain involved in intraoperative evaluation of nerve cuff electrodes.
Most recently, I have started to develop my own lab, focusing on developing novel neural interfaces and stimulus waveforms to control autonomic disorders. In particular, I am interested in reducing obesity.
- Graczyk EL, Schiefer MA, Saal HP, Delhaye BP, Bensmaia SJ, Tyler DJ. The neural basis of perceived intensity in natural and artificial touch. Sci Transl Med. 2016 Oct 26;8(362):362ra142. PubMed PMID: 27797958.
- Schiefer M, Tan D, Sidek SM, Tyler DJ. Sensory feedback by peripheral nerve stimulation improves task performance in individuals with upper limb loss using a myoelectric prosthesis. J Neural Eng. 2016 Feb;13(1):016001. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/13/1/016001. Epub 2015 Dec 8. PubMed PMID: 26643802.
- Tan DW and Schiefer MA, Keith MW, Anderson JR, Tyler DJ. Stability and selectivity of a chronic, multi-contact cuff electrode for sensory stimulation in human amputees. J Neural Eng. 2015 Apr;12(2):026002. PMID: 25627310
- Tan DW and Schiefer MA, Keith MW, Anderson JR, Tyler J, Tyler DJ. A neural interface provides long-term stable natural touch perception. Sci Transl Med. 2014 Oct 8;6(257):257ra138. PMID: 25298320
- Schiefer MA, Freeberg M, Pinault GCJ, Anderson J, Hoyen H, Tyler DJ, Triolo RJ. Selective activation of the human tibial and common peroneal nerves with a flat interface nerve electrode. J Neur Eng. 2013 Oct;10(5):056006. PMID: 23918148
- Schiefer MA, Tyler DJ, Triolo RJ. Probabilistic modeling of selective stimulation of the human sciatic nerve with a flat interface nerve electrode. J Comput Neurosci. 2012 Aug;33(1):179–190. PMCID: PMC3357453
- Schiefer MA, Polasek KH, Pinault GCJ, Triolo RJ, Tyler DJ. Selective stimulation of the common human femoral nerve with a flat interface nerve electrode. J Neur Eng. 2010 Apr;7(2):26006. PMID: 20208125.
- Schiefer MA, Triolo RJ, Tyelr DJ. A model of selective activation of the femoral nerve with a flat interface nerve electrode for a lower extremity neuroprosthesis. IEEE Trans Neur Sys Rehab Eng. 2008 Apr;16(2): 195-204. PMID: 18403289