Research Position, Cleveland, Ohio
MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH USA
A highly motivated post-doctoral candidate in the field of clinical neuroscience, neuroengineering, and neuromodulation is available at Cleveland FES Center, MetroHealth Medical Center. This is an exciting opportunity to join a laboratory that investigates and restores respiratory muscle function. Using electrical stimulation techniques, this program activates paralyzed and/or weak respiratory muscles to restore function. In research subjects who are ventilator dependent, techniques to stimulate the inspiratory muscles to allow independent breathing will be employed. In research subjects with paralysis or weakness of the expiratory muscles, techniques to stimulate the expiratory muscles to cough and sneeze will be employed. Experiments are initially performed on animals and then translated to humans. There are current NIH grants to perform these studies in animals and a clinical trial to evaluate these techniques to human research subjects. This program has demonstrated considerable success and utilizes viable techniques currently in practice to restore inspiratory and expiratory muscle function.
The successful candidate will work as part of an interdisciplinary team spanning biomedical engineering, neuroscience and medical doctors. The successful candidate is expected to conduct independent research, work closely with collaborators, and publish high-quality research work each year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The functions listed below are characteristics of the type of work associated with this job title. They are not all-inclusive.
- Interface with clinical staff, research staff, students, and fellows as well as participate in independent laboratory research.
- Assist with regulatory compliance for research projects, including Institutional Review Board documentation and review as requested.
- Provide regular updates to the Principal Investigator and research team
- Assist with manuscript preparation and submission
- PhD in one of the following fields: neuroscience, biomedical engineering or related field.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience through a record of relevant publications.
- Highly creative, motivated and independent individual
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and must be highly organized with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional analytical and data management ability.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Proficient in Spreadsheet Software (Excel; Word Processing Software (Word); Electronic Mail Software (Outlook), Presentation software (PowerPoint); and Publisher Software.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: PhD required
START DATE: It would be desirable if candidates can begin in Winter 2019
Please send your curriculum vitae and contact information for three references to: Anthony DiMarco, MD; email@example.com