Veizi, Elias, MD, PhD
Treating patients with intractable neuropathic pain is challenging. Electrical stimulation of the spinal cord and peripheral nerve stimulation or electrical nerve block has opened new opportunities for treating selective patient population successfully by improving pain and restoring function. My clinical and research interests include neuropathic and intractable pain of somatic and visceral origin and development of novel treatments using neuromodulation including electrical and intrathecal drug infusion via implantable devices. Beside applications of new technology, I am interested on functional outcomes captured by either complex patient reported measures and /or wearable devices as markers of neuroplasticity and disease modification by neuromodulation.
- Investigator, Cleveland FES Center
- Pain Physician, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Hayek SM, Veizi E, Hanes M. Intrathecal Hydromorphone and Bupivacaine Combination Therapy for Post-Laminectomy Syndrome Optimized with Patient-Activated Bolus Device. Pain Med. 2015 Dec 14. pii: pnv021. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26814257.
Hayek SM, Veizi E, Hanes M. Treatment-Limiting Complications of Percutaneous Spinal Cord Stimulator Implants: A Review of Eight Years of Experience From an Academic Center Database. Neuromodulation. 2015 Oct;18(7):603-8; discussion 608-9. doi: 10.1111/ner.12312. Epub 2015 Jun 5. PubMed PMID: 26053499.
- Hayek SM, Hanes MC, Wang C, Veizi IE. Ziconotide Combination Intrathecal Therapy for Noncancer Pain Is Limited Secondary to Delayed Adverse Effects: A Case Series With a 24-Month Follow-Up. Neuromodulation : journal of the International Neuromodulation Society. 2015.
- Cohen SP, Hanling S, Bicket MC, et al. Epidural steroid injections compared with gabapentin for lumbosacral radicular pain: multicenter randomized double blind comparative efficacy study. BMJ. 2015;350:h1748.
- Hayek SM, Veizi E, Hanes M. Treatment-Limiting Complications of Percutaneous Spinal Cord Stimulator Implants: A Review of Eight Years of Experience From an Academic Center Database. Neuromodulation : journal of the International Neuromodulation Society. 2015;18(7):603-609.
- Veizi E, Hayek S. Interventional therapies for chronic low back pain. Neuromodulation : journal of the International Neuromodulation Society. 2014;17 Suppl 2:31-45.
- Chelimsky T, Chelimsky G, McCabe NP, et al. Interstitial Cystitis – Elucidation of Psychophysiologic and Autonomic Characteristics (the ICEPAC Study): design and methods. Journal of pain research. 2014;7:243-253.
- Veizi IE, Hayek SM, Narouze S, Pope JE, Mekhail N. Combination of intrathecal opioids with bupivacaine attenuates opioid dose escalation in chronic noncancer pain patients. Pain medicine. 2011;12(10):1481-1489.
- Hayek SM, Veizi IE, Stanton-Hicks M. Four-limb neurostimulation with neuroelectrodes placed in the lower cervical epidural space. Anesthesiology. 2009;110(3):681-684.
- Spinal cord stimulation application and mechanism of action
- Intrathecal therapies, identification of optimal delivery patterns and new applications
- Peripheral nerve stimulation
- Functional outcomes from neuromodulation
- Studying mechanisms by which neuromodulation might promote neuronal regeneration
|Contact Name:||Elias Veizi, MD, PhD|
|Contact Number:||(216)791-3800 x 5548|