Schearer, Eric, PhD
I develop control strategies for functional electrical stimulation to restore reaching movements in people with paralyzed arms due to cervical spinal cord injury. My work is inspired by the success of machine learning to produce control strategies in robotics. My current focus areas are:
- Learning models of the response of the arm to electrical stimulation from force and motion data
- Planning feasible movement trajectories given limitations in FES systems
- Automatic improvement of FES control based on tactile feedback from a therapist or caregiver
- Investigator, Cleveland FES Center
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH
- Schearer EM, Liao YW, Perreault EJ, Tresch MC, Memberg WD, Kirsch RF, Lynch KM. Semiparametric Identification of Human Arm Dynamics for Flexible Control of a Functional Electrical Stimulation Neuroprosthesis. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2016 Dec;24(12):1405-1415. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2016.2535348. Epub 2016 Feb 29. PubMed PMID: 26955041; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5205577.
- Schearer EM, Liao Y, Perreault EJ, Tresc, MC, Memberg W D, Kirsch RF, and Lynch KM, “Evaluation of a Semi-Parametric Model for High-Dimensional FES Control,” in 7th International IEEE EMBS Neural Engineering Conference, 2015 (accepted).
- Schearer EM, Liao Y, Perreault EJ, Tresc, MC, Memberg W D, Kirsch RF, and Lynch KM, “Multi-Muscle FES Force Control of the Human Arm for Arbitrary Goals,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 22(3):1- 10, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TNSRE.2013.2282903 PMID: 24122573
- Schearer EM, Liao Y, Perreault EJ, Tresc, MC, Memberg W D, Kirsch RF, and Lynch KM, “Identifying Inverse Human Arm Dynamics Using a Robotic Testbed,” in International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2014. doi: 10.1109/IROS.2014.6943064
- Liao YW, Schearer EM, Hu X, Perreault EJ, Tresch MC, Lynch KM. Modeling open-loop stability of a human arm driven by a functional electrical stimulation neuroprosthesis. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013;2013:3598-601. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2013.6610321. PubMed PMID: 24110508.
- Schearer EM, Liao Y, Perreault EJ, Tresc, MC, Memberg W D, Kirsch RF, and Lynch KM, “System Identification for 3D Force Control of a Human Arm Neuroprosthesis using Functional Electrical Stimulation,” in International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2012. doi:10.1109/ICRA.2012.6224981
- Schearer EM, Liao Y, Perreault EJ, Tresc, MC, and Lynch KM, “Optimal Sampling of Recruitment Curves for Functional Electrical Stimulation Control,” in International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society, 2012. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2012.6345936 PMID:23365897
- Model Learning and Planning for Control of Paralyzed Human Arms using Functional Electrical Stimulation
|Contact Name:||Eric Schearer|
|Contact Number:||(216) 687-6901|