Machado, Andre, MD, PhD
Dr. Machado leads several deep brain stimulation and neuromodulation clinical trials as well as laboratory research. His research in deep brain stimulation for thalamic pain syndrome was awarded the National Institutes of Health Director’s New Innovator’s Award. In addition, he conducts deep brain stimulation research for treatment refractory depression as well as obsessive compulsive disorder. His laboratory in the Lerner Research Institute is focused in developing new strategies for utilizing neuroprosthetic devices such as DBS to improve post-stroke rehabilitation. His current NIH funded research is aimed at evaluating the effects of deep cerebellar stimulation on post-stroke perilesional plasticity and recovery of function.
- Investigator, Cleveland FES Center
- Institute Chair, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Cooperrider J, Gale JT, Gopalakrishnan R, Chan HH, Wathen C, Park HJ, Baker KB, Shaikh AG, Machado AG. Differential frequency modulation of neural activity in the lateral cerebellar nucleus in failed and successful grasps. Exp Neurol. 2015 Dec 14. PubMed PMID: 26698925.
- Gopalakrishnan R, Burgess RC, Plow EB, Floden DP, Machado AG. Early Event Related Fields during Visually Evoked Pain Anticipation. Clin Neurophysiol. In Press.
- Gopalakrishnan R, Burgess RC, Plow EB, Floden D, Machado AG. A Magnetoencephalography study of multi-modal processing of pain anticipation in primary sensory cortices. (2015). Neuroscience Sep 24;304:176-
- Potter-Baker KA, Bonnett CE, Chabra P, Roelle S, Varnerin N, Cunningham DA, Sankarasubramanian V, Pundik S, Conforto AB, Machado A, Plow EB. A game of hide and seek: Is it possible to recruit more patients for NIBS studies in stroke? J Neurol Sci. 2015 Nov 15;358(1-2):472–474. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2015.08.030 Pubmed PMID: 26320611
- Cunningham DA, Potter-Baker KA, Knutson JS, Sankarasubramanian V, Machado AG, Plow EB. Tailoring Brain Stimulation to the Nature of Rehabilitative Therapies in Stroke: A Conceptual Framework Based on their Unique Mechanisms of Recovery. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2015 Nov;26(4):759–774. doi: 10.1016/j.pmr.2015.07.001 Pubmed PMID: 26522911
- Cunningham DA, Varnerin N, Machado A, Bonnett C, Janini D, Roelle S, Potter-Baker K, Sankarasubramanian V, Wang X, Yue G, Plow EB. Stimulation targeting higher motor areas in stroke rehabilitation: A proof-of-concept, randomized, double-blinded placebo-controlled study of effectiveness and underlying mechanisms. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2015 Oct 20; doi: 10.3233/RNN-150574 Pubmed PMID: 26484700
- Gopalakrishnan R, Burgess RC, Plow EB, Floden DP, Machado AG. A magnetoencephalography study of multi-modal processing of pain anticipation in primary sensory cortices. Neuroscience. 2015 Sep 24;304:176–189. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2015.07.049 Pubmed PMID: 26210576
- Sweet JA, Mitchell LS, Narouze S, Sharan AD, Falowski SM, Schwalb JM, Machado A, Rosenow JM, Petersen EA, Hayek SM, Arle JE, Pilitsis JG. Occipital Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of Patients With Medically Refractory Occipital Neuralgia: Congress of Neurological Surgeons Systematic Review and Evidence-Based Guideline. Neurosurgery. 2015 Sep;77(3):332–341. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000872 Pubmed PMID: 26125672
- Kotecha R, Berriochoa CA, Murphy ES, Machado AG, Chao ST, Suh JH, Stephans KL. Report of whole-brain radiation therapy in a patient with an implanted deep brain stimulator: important neurosurgical considerations and radiotherapy practice principles. J Neurosurg. 2015 Aug 28;1–5. doi: 10.3171/2015.2.JNS142951 Pubmed PMID: 26315009
- Dougherty DD, Rezai AR, Carpenter LL, Howland RH, Bhati MT, O’Reardon JP, Eskandar EN, Baltuch GH, Machado AD, Kondziolka D, Cusin C, Evans KC, Price LH, Jacobs K, Pandya M, Denko T, Tyrka AR, Brelje T, Deckersbach T, Kubu C, Malone DA. A Randomized Sham-Controlled Trial of Deep Brain Stimulation of the Ventral Capsule/Ventral Striatum for Chronic Treatment-Resistant Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Aug 15;78(4):240–248. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2014.11.023 Pubmed PMID: 25726497
- Walsh KM, Machado AG, Krishnaney AA. Spinal cord stimulation: a review of the safety literature and proposal for perioperative evaluation and management. Spine J. 2015 Aug 1;15(8):1864–1869. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2015.04.043 Pubmed PMID: 25957536
- Ozinga SJ, Machado AG, Miller Koop M, Rosenfeldt AB, Alberts JL. Objective assessment of postural stability in Parkinson’s disease using mobile technology. Mov Disord. 2015 Aug;30(9):1214–1221. doi: 10.1002/mds.26214 Pubmed PMID: 25809137
|Contact Name:||Theresa Patterson|
|Contact Number:||(216) 636-0505|