Tyler, Dustin, PhD
My research interests are in the areas of neural interfacing and neural prostheses. The neural interface is the interface between man and machine. It presents significant challenges in the development of advanced devices to restore function in neurologically impaired patients.
My research activities in neural interfacing include:
- Peripheral nerve electrodes for upper and lower extremity neural prostheses.
- Development of cortical electrodes, particularly examining novel materials and methods of insertion for maximal integration with cortical tissue.
My neural prostheses interests are in stimulation of the larynx. The larynx is an intricate and complicated organ responsible for many functions, ranging from protection of the airway to production of voice. My research activities include:
- A neural prosthesis for prevention of aspiration in post-stroke patients.
- Neural prostheses for production of voice.
My fundamental research tools include animal experimentation, clinical studies, histology and immuno-histochemistry and computer modeling and simulation.
- Investigator, Cleveland FES Center
- Associate Director, Cleveland Advanced Platform Technology Center; and Biomedical Engineer, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- Bioscientific Staff, Department of Orthopaedics, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Tan DW, Schiefer MA, Keith MW, Anderson JR, Tyler DJ. Stability and selectivity of a chronic, multi-contact cuff electrode for sensory stimulation in human amputees. J Neural Eng. 2015 Jan 28;12(2):026002. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/12/2/026002 Pubmed PMID: 25627310
- Hadley AJ, Krival KR, Ridgel AL, Hahn EC, Tyler DJ. Neural Network Pattern Recognition of Lingual-Palatal Pressure for Automated Detection of Swallow. Dysphagia. 2015 Jan 25; doi: 10.1007/s00455-014-9593-y Pubmed PMID: 25618539
- Tan DW, Schiefer MA, Keith MW, Anderson JR, Tyler J, Tyler DJ. A neural interface provides long-term stable natural touch perception. Sci Transl Med. 2014 Oct 8;6(257):257ra138. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3008669 Pubmed PMID: 25298320
- Nguyen JK, Park DJ, Skousen JL, Hess-Dunning AE, Tyler DJ, Rowan SJ, Weder C, Capadona JR. Mechanically-compliant intracortical implants reduce the neuroinflammatory response. J Neural Eng. 2014 Oct;11(5):056014. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/11/5/056014 Pubmed PMID: 25125443
- Hadley AJ, Thompson P, Kolb I, Hahn EC, Tyler DJ. Targeted transtracheal stimulation for vocal fold closure. Dysphagia. 2014 Jun;29(3):346–354. doi: 10.1007/s00455-014-9517-x Pubmed PMID: 24562508
- Peterson EJ, Tyler DJ. Motor neuron activation in peripheral nerves using infrared neural stimulation. J Neural Eng. 2014 Feb;11(1):016001. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/11/1/016001 Pubmed PMID: 24310923
- Schiefer MA, Freeberg M, Pinault GJC, Anderson J, Hoyen H, Tyler DJ, Triolo RJ. Selective activation of the human tibial and common peroneal nerves with a flat interface nerve electrode. J Neural Eng. 2013 Oct;10(5):056006. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/10/5/056006 Pubmed PMID: 23918148
- Hadley AJ, Kolb I, Tyler DJ. Laryngeal elevation by selective stimulation of the hypoglossal nerve. J Neural Eng. 2013 Aug;10(4):046013. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/10/4/046013 Pubmed PMID: 23838089
- Hess AE, Potter KA, Tyler DJ, Zorman CA, Capadona JR. Environmentally-controlled microtensile testing of mechanically-adaptive polymer nanocomposites for ex vivo characterization. J Vis Exp. 2013;(78):e50078. doi: 10.3791/50078 Pubmed PMID: 23995288
- Harris JP, Tyler DJ. Biological, mechanical, and technological considerations affecting the longevity of intracortical electrode recordings. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2013;41(6):435–456. Pubmed PMID: 24940658
- Fisher LE, Tyler DJ, Triolo RJ. Optimization of selective stimulation parameters for multi-contact electrodes. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2013;10:25. doi: 10.1186/1743-0003-10-25 Pubmed PMID: 23442372
- Evaluation of BION for Stroke Swallowing
- Development of FES for Stroke Swallowing
- Development of Cuff Electrodes
- Technology Development for OSA
|Contact Name:||Dustin Tyler|