Baker, Kenneth, PhD
My research interests are in the areas of neuromodulation, in particular the application of neurostimulation-based approaches for the study and treatment of neurological and psychiatric disease. I am currently involved in studies of the neurophysiology of movement disorders, the therapeutic mechanisms of deep brain stimulation (DBS), and the potential of novel DBS approaches to improve treatment efficacy and outcomes in both Parkinson’s disease and stroke. My work involves experimental and clinical trial research in humans as well as preclinical trials using non-human animal models of disease. Many of my projects involve close collaboration with other neuroscientists as well as neurosurgeons, neurologists, radiologists, and/or biomedical engineers.
- Investigator, Cleveland FES Center
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Molecular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine-Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- Wathen CA, Frizon LA, Maiti TK, Baker KB, Machado AG. Deep brain stimulation of the cerebellum for poststroke motor rehabilitation: from laboratory to clinical trial. Neurosurg Focus. 2018 Aug;45(2):E13. doi: 10.3171/2018.5.FOCUS18164 Pubmed PMID: 30064319
- Chan HH, Cooperrider J, Chen Z, Gale JT, Baker KB, Wathen CA, Modic CR, Park H-J, Machado AG. Lateral Cerebellar Nucleus Stimulation has Selective Effects on Glutamatergic and GABAergic Perilesional Neurogenesis After Cortical Ischemia in the Rodent Model. Neurosurgery. 2017 Sep 27; doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyx473 Pubmed PMID: 29029200
- Lempka SF, Malone DAJ, Hu B, Baker KB, Wyant A, Ozinga JG 4th, Plow EB, Pandya M, Kubu CS, Ford PJ, Machado AG. Randomized clinical trial of deep brain stimulation for poststroke pain. Ann Neurol. 2017 May;81(5):653–663. doi: 10.1002/ana.24927 Pubmed PMID: 28380672
- Muralidharan A, Zhang J, Ghosh D, Johnson MD, Baker KB, Vitek JL. Modulation of Neuronal Activity in the Motor Thalamus during GPi-DBS in the MPTP Nonhuman Primate Model of Parkinson’s Disease. Brain Stimul. 2017 Feb;10(1):126–138. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2016.10.005 Pubmed PMID: 27839724
- Chan HH, Cooperrider JL, Park H-J, Wathen CA, Gale JT, Baker KB, Machado AG. Crossed Cerebellar Atrophy of the Lateral Cerebellar Nucleus in an Endothelin-1-Induced, Rodent Model of Ischemic Stroke. Front Aging Neurosci. 2017;9:10. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2017.00010 Pubmed PMID: 28261086
- Wang J, Nebeck S, Muralidharan A, Johnson MD, Vitek JL, Baker KB. Coordinated Reset Deep Brain Stimulation of Subthalamic Nucleus Produces Long-Lasting, Dose-Dependent Motor Improvements in the 1- Methyl -4- Phenyl -1,2,3,6-Tetrahydropyridine Non-Human Primate Model of Parkinsonism. Brain Stimul 2016 Jul-Aug;9(4):609-617 doi:10.1016/j.brs.2016.03.014; PMID: 27151601
- Cooperrider J, Furmaga H, Plow E, Park H, Chen Z, Kidd G, Baker KB, Gale J, Machado AG. Chronic deep cerebellar stimulation promotes long-term potentiation, microstructural plasticity and reorganization of perilesional cortical representation in a rodent model. J Neurosci 2014; 34(27):9040-50.
|Contact Name:||Ken Baker|
|Contact Number:||(216) 445-2244|