Bryden, Anne, MA, OTR/L
As an Occupational Therapist and Sociologist, Anne is deeply committed to improving the lives of people with spinal cord injury. With more than twenty years of experience specializing in upper extremity care of people with cervical spinal cord injury, Anne leads the functional assessment program for upper extremity neuroprosthetics and reconstructive surgeries at The Cleveland FES Center. Currently she is responsible for leading the multi-center pivotal clinical trial for the Networked Neuroprosthesis (NNP) System, the latest innovation developed at the Cleveland FES Center. Her research interests include upper extremity assessment, surgical interventions, outcomes measurement, and the social determinants of health and wellness in people with chronic physical disability.
Additionally, Anne is investigating the experiences of health and social resource navigation following spinal cord injury through the lens of human rights by measuring barriers and facilitators to obtaining supports necessary for improved quality of life. She is also conducting research on the human rights knowledge base of health professionals and other stakeholders involved in the care of people with spinal cord injury.
- Investigator, Cleveland FES Center
- Director, Clinical Trials and Research, Institute for Functional Restoration, Case Western Reserve University
- Doctoral Candidate, Department of Sociology, Case Western Reserve University
- Bryden A, Kilgore KL, Nemunaitis GA. Advanced Assessment of the Upper Limb in Tetraplegia: A Three-Tiered Approach to Characterizing Paralysis. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2018 Summer;24(3):206-216. doi: 10.1310/sci2403-206. Review. PubMed PMID: 29997424; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6037326.
- Kilgore KL, Bryden A, Keith MW, Hoyen HA, Hart RL, Nemunaitis GA, Peckham PH.
Evolution of Neuroprosthetic Approaches to Restoration of Upper Extremity Function in Spinal Cord Injury. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2018 Summer;24(3):252-264. doi: 10.1310/sci2403-252. PubMed PMID: 29997428; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6037324.
- Marino RJ, Sinko R, Bryden A, Backus D, Chen D, Nemunaitis GA, Leiby BE.
Comparison of Responsiveness and Minimal Clinically Important Difference of the Capabilities of Upper Extremity Test (CUE-T) and the Graded Redefined Assessment of Strength, Sensibility and Prehension (GRASSP). Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2018 Summer;24(3):227-238. doi: 10.1310/sci2403-227. PubMed PMID: 29997426; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6037321.
- Jones LAT, Bryden A, Wheeler TL, Tansey KE, Anderson KD, Beattie MS, Blight A, Curt A, Field-Fote E, Guest JD, Hseih J, Jakeman LB, Kalsi-Ryan S, Krisa L, Lammertse DP, Leiby B, Marino R, Schwab JM, Scivoletto G, Tulsky DS, Wirth E, Zariffa J, Kleitman N, Mulcahey MJ, Steeves JD. Considerations and recommendations for selection and utilization of upper extremity clinical outcome assessments in human spinal cord injury trials. Spinal Cord. 2018 May;56(5):414-425. doi: 10.1038/s41393-017-0015-5. Epub 2017 Dec 28. Review. PubMed PMID: 29284795; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5951792.
- Hardwick D, Bryden A, Kubec G, Kilgore K. Factors associated with upper extremity contractures after cervical spinal cord injury: A pilot study. J Spinal Cord Med. 2018 May;41(3):337-346. doi: 10.1080/10790268.2017.1331894. Epub 2017 Jun 5. PubMed PMID: 28580861; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6055953.
- Bryden AM, Hoyen HA, Keith MW, Mejia M, Kilgore KL, Nemunaitis GA. Upper Extremity Assessment in Tetraplegia: The Importance of Differentiating between Upper and Lower Motor Neuron Paralysis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 97(6 Suppl 2):S97-104, 2016.
- Biering-Sorensen F, Bryden AM, Curt A, Friden J, Harvey LA, Mulcahey MJ, Popovic MR, Prochazka A, Sinnott KA, Snoek G. International Spinal Cord Injury Upper Extremity Basic Data Set. Spinal Cord, Advance Online:1-6, 2014.
- Bryden AM, Peljovich AE, Hoyen HA, Nemunaitis G, Kilgore KL, Keith MW. Surgical Restoration of Arm and Hand Function in People with Tetraplegia. Topics In Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation 18(1):43-49, 2012.
- Bryden AM, Sinnott KA, Mulcahey MJ. Innovative Strategies for Improving Upper Extremity Function in Tetraplegia and Considerations in Measuring Functional Outcomes. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation 2005;10(4)75-93.
- Bryden AM, Kilgore KL, Lind BB and Yu DT. Triceps Denervation as a Predictor of Elbow Flexion Contractures in C5 and C6 Tetraplegia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2004;85(11)1880-1885.
- Human Rights, Science, and Disability: Attitudes of Health Care Providers and Scientists, Science and Human Rights Coalition of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
|Contact Name:||Anne Bryden|
|Contact Number:||(216) 957-3594|