Ruff, Robert, MD, PhD
Dr. Ruff’s research involved employing FES stimulation to help people who have paralysis due to stroke to relearn how to use a paretic arm or to relearn how to walk. FES is used in conjunction with other technologies, such as partial weight-supported treadmill training and robotic-assisted training.
Professional affiliations held by Dr. Ruff upon his retirement from the Cleveland FES Center in 2014:
- Medical Director, Cleveland FES Center
- Professor, Department of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience,Case Weste Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- National Director for Neurology, Veterans Health Administration,Department of Veterans Affairs
- Chief, Neurology Service, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Ruff RL, Rutecki P. Faster, slower, but never better: Mutations of the skeletal muscle acetylcholine receptor. Neurology. 2012 May 16. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22592368.
- Ruff RL, Riechers RG 2nd, Wang XF, Piero T, Ruff SS. A case-control study examining whether neurological deficits and PTSD in combat veterans are related to episodes of mild TBI. BMJ Open. 2012 Mar 8;2(2):e000312. Print 2012. PubMed PMID: 22431700; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3312078.
- Kaminski H, Cutter G, Ruff RL, Wolfe G. Evidence-based guideline update: plasmapheresis in neurologic disorders. Neurology. 2011 Oct 25;77(17):e101-2;author reply e103-4. PubMed PMID: 22135813.
- Daly JJ, Kristen Roenigk, Roger Cheng, Ruff RL.† Abnormal Leg Muscle Latencies and Relationship to Dyscoordination and Walking Disability after Stroke.† Rehabil Res Pract. 2011; 2011: 313980.†† Published online 2010 December 29.† doi: 10.1155/2011/313980 PMCID: PMC3221243
- Ruff RL, Ronald G Riechers, II, Suzanne S Ruff.†† Relationships between mild traumatic brain injury sustained in combat and post-traumatic stress disorder.† F1000 Med Rep. 2010; 2: 64.†† Published online 2010 August 19.† doi: 10.3410/M2-64 PMCID: PMC2990449
- Ruff RL, Vanda A. Lennon.†† How Myasthenia Gravis Alters the Safety Factor for Neuromuscular Transmission.† J Neuroimmunol.† Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 September 15. Published in final edited form as:†† J Neuroimmunol.† 2008 September 15;† 201-202† : 13ñ20.† Published online 2008 July 15.† doi: 10.1016/j.jneuroim.2008.04.038 PMCID: PMC2646503
- Becher K, Figueiredo CP, Muhle C, Ruff R, Mendes PM, Hoffmann KP. Design and realization of a wireless sensor gateway for health monitoring. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010;1:374-7. PubMed PMID: 21097188.
- Ruff R, Poppendieck W, Gail A, Westendorff S, Russold M, Lewis S, Meiners T, Hoffmann KP. Acquisition of myoelectric signals to control a hand prosthesis with implantable epimysial electrodes. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010;1:5070-3.† PubMed PMID: 21096029.
- Ruff RL : Voltage sensor charge loss accounts for most cases of hypokalemic periodic paralysis.† Neurology 74(3):269-70, 2010.
- Ruff RL, Riechers RG, Ruff SS. Relationships between mild traumatic brain injury sustained in combat and post-traumatic stress disorder. F1000 Med Rep. 2010 Aug 19;2:64. PubMed PMID: 21173852; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2990449.
- Ruff RL, Ruff SS, Wang X-F: Combat Veterans with Mild TBI Due to Explosions Have Persisting Neurological Deficits.† Neurology 74(Suppl. 2):A153, 2010.
- Ruff RL. Interesting findings in an initial clinical study of neuropeptides and pain. Pain Med. 2010 Oct;11(10):1440-2. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2010.00945.x. Epub 2010 Sep 7. PubMed PMID: 21199298
- Ruff RL:† Management of Stroke Rehabilitation Working Group. VA/DOD Clinical practice guideline for the management of stroke† rehabilitation. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010;47(9):1-43. PubMed PMID: 21213454.